These Almond-Scented Zucchini Muffins are sweetly aromatic thanks to a secret ingredient: mahlab!
- 1 1/4 cups (140 g) almond meal
- 1/2 cup (75 g) coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon mahlab (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (or avocado oil or light olive oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium-large (300 g) zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 375F; line a muffin tray with 9 paper liners.
- Whisk together the almond meal, coconut sugar, arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and mahlab (if using) in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry being careful not to over-mix, and then fold in the zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tray and bake until a wooden pick inserted inside comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
Warm-Spiced Zucchini Muffins Variation: If cinnamon and nutmeg are more your thing, skip the almond extract and mahlab and add 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 299
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 58