Caramelized Butternut Squash with Cacao Butter and Coconut is sort-of a cross between a winter squash pie (like pumpkin pie) and a crisp or crumble...but without the added starch from the crust or crumble topping. You won't even miss it!
- 4 tablespoons (30 g) cacao butter
- 1 1/4 lbs (570 g) butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups cubed)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- Add the cacao butter to a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and water, cover the skillet, and cook until the squash is tender and starting to brown in spots, about 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the honey, vanilla bean paste, and salt.
- Transfer to 4 serving bowls, top each with 1 teaspoon coconut, and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving Size: 1/4 of recipe
- Calories: 212
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 45
- Fat: 15
- Saturated Fat: 10
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 22
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0