This easy paleo Chocolate Custard recipe is silky smooth with deep, rich chocolate flavor and takes just 15 minutes to whip up!
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 13.5 ounce can unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural not Dutch-processed)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Lightly beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl; while beating, gradually whisk in the maple syrup until incorporated. Set aside.
- Whisk the coconut milk, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it’s steaming, but not yet bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Very slowly (starting with just a couple drops at first) add 1 cup of the coconut milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking continuously (this will temper the egg yolks and help prevent them from curdling).
- Add the tempered egg yolk mixture into the pot with the rest of the coconut milk mixture. Heat over medium-low heat until it comes to a very gentle simmer while whisking continuously, about 5 minutes. (At this point, it should be thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.)
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve and pour into individual serving dishes.
- Cool to room temperature, and then chill for 2 hours before serving (the custard will thicken more as it cools). To prevent a “skin” from forming on the top, place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of each custard.
- Serve chilled. If desired, right before serving top each with a dollop of whipped cream or coconut “whipped cream” and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
- Nutrition information was calculated without any toppings.
- Recipe inspired by Dark Chocolate Coconut Pudding on An Edible Mosaic.
- Store Chocolate Custard in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 7 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 296
- Sugar: 20
- Sodium: 78
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 117
Keywords: Chocolate Custard, Chocolate Custard Recipe