These grain-free and gluten-free soft and slightly chewy little chocolate chip cookie bites taste pretty close to the flavor of real chocolate chip cookies!
- 3 Medjool dates (60 g), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons boiling water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted, grass-fed butter or coconut oil, slightly softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon powdered stevia, which is equivalent to 2 packets (see Note)
- Scant 3/4 cup (85 g) almond meal
- Scant 3/4 cup (85 g) hazelnut meal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 oz (55 g/about 1/2 cup chopped) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F; line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liners.
- Add the dates and boiling water to a blender, cover, and let sit for 5 minutes, and then puree; transfer to a small dish and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together the butter, egg, vanilla, stevia, and cooled date mixture until smooth. Stir in the almond meal, hazelnut meal, tapioca starch, baking powder, and sea salt, and then fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Cover the bowl and transfer the dough to the freezer to chill until stiffened, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop the dough into 1 tablespoon-sized balls and arrange them about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until the cookies are set and light golden on the bottom, but not overcooked, about 10 minutes, rotating the trays once halfway through.
- Cool completely on the trays before removing and serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Stevia: Here is a guideline on how sweet 1 packet of stevia is: the amount of stevia in 1 packet measures 1/2 teaspoon, which is about as sweet as 2 to 3 teaspoons of regular sugar.
The Next Day: These cookies soften a bit by the next day; if you prefer these cookies warm (and crispy outside and chewy inside), the next day you can pop them into a 350F oven for about 5 minutes to reheat.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving Size: 4 cookies
- Calories: 308
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 348
- Fat: 25
- Saturated Fat: 8
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 38