Cherry Vanilla Energy Bites are a delicious and energizing mid-morning or early-afternoon snack.
- 1 cup (120 g) dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup (slightly packed) pitted Medjool dates (about 6 Medjool dates/120 g)
- 1 cup (120 g) raw, unsalted walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground mahlab (optional, but recommended)
- 1 small pinch sea salt
- 3 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
- If the cherries and/or dates are very dry and hard, soak them before making this recipe. To do so, put the cherries and/or dates in a bowl, cover with boiling water by 1/2 inch, let them soak for 3 minutes, and then drain well.
- Add all ingredients except the coconut to a food processor, pulse a few times to help break everything up, and then puree until the mixture forms a sticky ball of “dough”.
- Use a 1 tablespoon-sized measuring scoop to scoop out the dough and roll it into balls (I get about 16 to 18 1-tablespoon-sized bites). If you find the dough is too sticky to work with immediately after processing, you can refrigerate it so it’s slightly chilled, but I don’t usually have a problem working with the dough immediately.
- Roll each ball in coconut, and store the bites covered in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Calories: 211
- Sugar: 22
- Sodium: 24
- Fat: 11
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 0