Banana Golden Milk Turmeric Latte Nice Cream combines the anti-inflammatory benefits of golden milk with the luscious, creamy texture of banana nice cream for a healthy treat anytime.
I’ve been taking turmeric as a supplement for a couple years now because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Similarly, I know people who drink turmeric milk (aka golden milk) on the regular to reap the benefits, and because they enjoy it. I have a couple friends who use this as their nightly ritual to relax and decompress at the end of the day. This Banana Golden Milk Turmeric Latte Nice Cream is a delicious way to incorporate a golden milk latte into nice cream.
How to Make Golden Milk
Golden milk, also called turmeric milk, is easy to make. If you have a well-stocked pantry, you probably already have all the ingredients on hand! Golden milk was inspired by Indian Haldi Doodh, which was traditionally made with just hot milk and turmeric. However, I’ve seen recipes for it that add pepper (to help your body absorb the curcumin), sweetener in the form of honey or palm sugar (or you can use coconut sugar if that’s more readily available), and ghee (if you have a sore throat).
What Kind of Milk to Use
You can make golden milk with any kind of milk you like. A lot of people like to use coconut milk or almond milk to keep it vegan, but cow’s milk also works well. Moreover, the same thing goes for this Banana Golden Milk Turmeric Latte Nice Cream; coconut milk, cashew milk, cow’s milk, etc. all work!
Fresh Turmeric or Dried Turmeric?
Turmeric is a root that is available fresh (it looks a bit like fresh ginger) or dried. Fresh turmeric is a great option if you can find it, but if not, dried turmeric is fine and is more convenient. I always have a jar of dried turmeric in my spice pantry to use for golden milk lattes, as well as Indian curries.
Which Spices to Include
Piperine (in black pepper) helps improve absorption of curcumin (from turmeric), so I always add a pinch of black pepper to my golden milk lattes. Additionally, I like the flavor of a touch of ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom in my golden milk lattes. Prepared this way, golden milk lattes remind me of masala chai (or my Banana Chai Popsicles).
What Kind of Sweetener is Best
Palm sugar, honey, or maple syrup are all delicious to sweeten golden milk lattes, it depends largely on your personal preference. I like to use stevia to keep it lower in carbs.
Why Should I Take Turmeric Together with Pepper?
It’s thought that piperine from pepper can greatly boost the bioavailability from curcumin found in turmeric, thus helping your body to absorb it better. There are two methods in which it’s believed that this happens: 1) piperine helps relax your intestinal membrane, allowing larger particles such as turmeric to pass through; and 2) piperine slows the liver’s metabolism of curcumin enough so that the body can absorb the nutrient more effectively. (This information is from Global Healing Center; additionally, you can read information on the topic there.)
Health Benefits of Golden Milk
I’m not a doctor, but I did quite a bit of research and I found that turmeric has the following health benefits (see the following websites for more information: Natural Living Ideas; Mercola; and Livestrong):
- Contains anti-inflammatory properties, and therefore may provide relief from autoimmune conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, scleroderma, psoriasis, etc.
- Is rich in antioxidants, and may help prevent certain cancers
- Assists in digestion by stimulating the gallbladder to release bile, which helps with fat digestion
- Helps with detoxification and acts as a blood purifier
- Additionally, it acts as an anti-viral and helps build immunity
How to Make Banana Golden Milk Turmeric Latte Nice Cream
This recipe is basically the same method as making banana nice cream, but with the added components of golden milk. Just add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, tamping down as necessary, and being careful not to over-mix.
Other Turmeric Dessert Recipes:
- No Bake Turmeric Coconut Balls from Running on Real Food
- Ginger Turmeric Lemon Cream Bars from Unconventional Baker
- Mango and Turmeric Raw Cupcakes from Nirvana Cakery
- Turmeric Coconut Flour Recipe from Paleohacks
Bump Up the Nutrition with Collagen Peptides
I normally take my collagen peptides dissolved in my morning coffee, but another way to get your peptides in is to add it to smoothies or nice cream like this one! I recently tried Further Food Collagen Peptides. Their products are real food-based, and are dairy-free, non-GMO, organic, gluten-free, and sugar free.
What impressed me even more about this 100% woman-owned and operated company is that their mission is to educate people on how to use food as medicine, and they are committed to giving back by supporting chronic illness and healthy eating programs. Check them out for yourself! For a 10% discount on Further Food products, use code ANEDIBLEMOSAIC. (Note that this is a discount code, not an affiliate code. I don’t make a single penny off of anything you buy from them, I just believe in their products!)
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 156
- Fat: 1
- Saturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Sugar: 19
- Sodium: 195
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
- 1 large ripe banana (it’s better with brown spots), peeled, cut into 4 chunks, and frozen
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey, or 1 packet (1g) powdered stevia
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/16 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Bee pollen
- Chia seeds
- Toasted coconut flakes
- Add all ingredients for the nice cream except the almond milk into a high-speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy, adding the almond milk a little at a time until smooth. Tamp it down as necessary to it blends well, but be careful not to over-mix or your nice cream won’t be thick.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately, with any toppings you like.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products we believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, Healthy Sweet Eats will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items.