This moist Low Carb Apple Bread Recipe has flavorful bursts of fresh apple, is laced with cinnamon and nutmeg, and is slightly aromatic with vanilla.
One of my family's favorite fall traditions is apple picking. We drive out to the country and spend an afternoon in an orchard enjoying the scenery and picking apples. And then it's just as fun deciding how to use all the apples!
A while ago one of the orchards where we picked apples gave us their family recipe for apple bread. It was an heirloom recipe and I'm pretty sure it would have tasted amazing.
It called for vegetable shortening, a lot of sugar (if I remember correctly, it called for 2 cups for one loaf), and of course it used white flour. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those ingredients, but these days I try to eat gluten free with no added sugar, and low carb as much as I can.
This is my healthy take on that vintage recipe! Try my Low Carb Apple Bread and I think it'll become a fall baking staple in your home.
Can I Freeze Apples?
Yes, you can freeze apples! And there's no need to cook them first. However, there is a caveat; after freezing, the texture of apples changes and they're no longer pleasant to eat raw. (Basically, apples get mushy after freezing and thawing.) But frozen apples are still great to make things like:
- Apple Pie
- Apple Cobbler or Apple Crisp
- And this recipe for Low Carb Apple Bread!
How to Freeze Apples to Make Low Carb Apple Bread
- Wash, core, and dice the apples (but leave the skin on).
- Add the apples to a bowl along with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. Add enough cool water to cover the apples by 2 inches.
- Let the apples soak in the water for 10 minutes, and then drain well and pat dry.
- Spread the apples out so they're not touching on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Freeze until the apples are solid, about 4 hours.
- Transfer the apples to a zip-top plastic bag, squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag, label the bag, and pop it in the freezer until you want to make this recipe.
- When you want to use the frozen diced apple to make this recipe, there's no need to thaw the apple first!
Pro Tip: When you freeze apples, be sure to label the bag with the date and contents!
Apple Bread Recipe
This Low Carb Apple Bread Recipe is the perfect autumnal treat. Cinnamon and nutmeg balance the sweet bursts of fruit. It's aromatic with vanilla to complement the flavor of apple. The texture is moist without being soggy, and it has a beautiful crumb.
And as a total bonus, this apple bread uses a combination of almond flour and milled golden flaxseed as the base so it's gluten free and lower in carbs!
Apple Bread Ingredients
- Coconut oil
- Sweet-tart apples
- Almond flour
- Milled golden flaxseed
- Swerve Confectioners
- Baking soda
- Ghee (or coconut oil)
- Heavy cream (or unsweetened full-fat coconut milk)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Blackstrap molasses
- Stevia glycerite
(See the recipe card below for measurements.)
Pro Tip: A handful of walnuts or pecans is delicious in this bread! Stir them in along with the cooked apple.
How to Make Apple Bread
This Low Carb Apple Bread is so easy to make!
- Pre-cook the apples.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and then fold in the apple.
- Transfer the batter to a loaf pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and slice!
(See the recipe card below for detailed instructions.)
More Sweet Healthy Bread Recipes
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
- Easy Low Carb Zucchini Bread
- Paleo Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Almond Bread
- Avocado Almond Pound Cake
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic and #healthysweeteats on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Low Carb Apple Bread Recipe
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 medium-sized sweet-tart apples diced but not peeled
- 4 tablespoons water
- Coconut oil spray for the pan
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup milled golden flaxseed
- ½ cup Swerve Confectioners
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, melted and cooled slightly
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup heavy cream or unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- ¼ teaspoon stevia glycerite
- Preheat the oven to 350Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and lightly spray the inside with coconut oil.
- For the apples, add all ingredients to a medium skillet over medium heat. Cover the skillet and cook until the apples are softened but not mushy and the liquid is evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- For the bread, whisk together the almond flour, milled golden flaxseed, Swerve Confectioners, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg in a in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ghee or coconut oil, eggs, cream, water, vanilla, vinegar, molasses, and stevia glycerite.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry all at once and stir to combine, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in the cooled apples.
- Immediately pour the batter into the prepared pan (the batter will be thick), and spread it out evenly.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 65 to 75 minutes. (You can drape a piece of foil over the top if it starts to get too brown before the inside is cooked through.)
- Cool the bread on a wire rack before slicing. Store any leftovers wrapped in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- Net Carbs: 6g per serving
- Recipe yields 1 (9 by 5-inch) loaf; cut it into 12 slices and 1 slice is 1 serving.
- A handful of walnuts or pecans is delicious in this bread! Stir them in along with the cooked apple.
- Once this bread is a few days old, I like to toast it before serving.