For the strawberry shortcake lovers, this Low Carb Shortcake (Gluten Free Biscuits) will become your new favorite dessert! They have a fluffy crumb, great biscuit texture, and subtle hint of sweet vanilla-almond flavor.
Low Carb Shortcake (Gluten Free Biscuits) are your answer to the bounty of summer fruit. So many people tell me that shortcake of some kind (usually strawberry, but occasionally peach) is their absolute favorite dessert. For those of us who follow a low carb, keto, or gluten free lifestyle, it that doesn’t mean we don’t crave our old favorites.
How to Make Shortcake Biscuits
Ingredients in These Low Carb Shortcake (Gluten Free Biscuits):
Making shortcake biscuits is easy and very similar to making drop biscuits:
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients; in this recipe this includes the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and stevia.
- Use a fork to cut the fat (here, the butter and cream cheese) into the dry ingredients until it looks crumbly.
- Stir in any flavorings (I used vanilla and almond extracts), and then stir in the wet ingredients (usually egg or dairy, such as milk or cream).
- Drop the dough onto a prepared baking sheet and bake!
Using Cream Cheese in Low Carb and Keto Baking
In low carb and keto baking, cream cheese is used for both improved texture and flavor. Here, cream cheese acts as a binding agent so these Gluten Free Shortcake Biscuits don’t crumble apart. Additionally, it adds a very slight tangy flavor, similar to a cheese pastry.
Other Gluten Free Desserts:
- The Best Paleo Cinnamon Roll for One from An Edible Mosaic
- Paleo Maple Glaze Donuts from Savory Lotus
- Low Carb Keto Vanilla Almond Yellow Butter Cake from Healthy Sweet Eats
- The Best Gluten Free Brownies from Texanerin
- Soft and Chewy Cacao Butter Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies from Healthy Sweet Eats
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products we believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, Healthy Sweet Eats will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items.