Just like New York Crumb Cake, this Keto Coffee Cake Recipe features rich, buttery, vanilla-scented golden cake topped with a thick layer of brown sugar cinnamon crumbs. Only 4g net carbs per serving!
Back when I lived in Buffalo, I’d make it down to New York City every few months or so.
It was always a fun time to soak in the sights and sounds of the city, and of course get our fill of its famous foods!
Pizza was at the top of the list (of course). Bagels too. There was an occasional pretzel. And we had a great slice of cheesecake here or there. A deli sandwich, like pastrami or corned beef. And another deli favorite, New York Crumb Cake!
Picture this. It’s a crisp, chilly morning and you’re sipping hot coffee. You went all out and got a treat to go with it! A thick slab of Crumb Cake was calling your name. Moist and soft golden cake that’s rich with a buttery vanilla flavor. But that’s only the half of it. Huge buttery brown sugar cinnamon crumbs adorn the top. The crumble topping is at least as tall as the cake!
You take a bite and it’s every bit as good as you’re anticipating. The softness of the cake contrasts perfectly with the slight crunch of the crumble topping. The flavors of butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar blissfully swirl together as you enjoy every moment of it.
And that’s exactly what this keto version of that classic delivers. Try it and I think you’ll agree that this is the BEST Keto Crumb Cake you’ve ever had!
The Best Coffee Cake Recipe aka New York Crumb Cake
If you’re a fan of New York Crumb Cake but thought there was no way you’d be able to eat it after going keto, you will be amazed at how close of a replication this Low Carb Coffee Cake is!
Keto Coffee Cake Ingredients
- Almond flour
- Monk fruit/allulose brown sugar blend
- Vanilla extract
- Avocado oil
- Sour cream
- Granulated allulose
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Almond flour
- Golden flaxseed meal
- Tapioca flour
- Baking powder
How to Make Low Carb Coffee Cake From Scratch
- Make the crumb topping. Use a fork to mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl, and then mix in the wet ingredients until it forms large crumbles. You can switch to using your hands instead of a fork if it’s easier.
- For the cake batter, whisk together the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in another bowl. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry to combine.
- Spread the cake batter into a loaf pan that’s lined with 2 pieces of parchment paper and sprayed with coconut oil cooking spray. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top.
How to Store Coffee Cake or New York Crumb Cake
Store this low carb Coffee Cake wrapped at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days more.
Variations on This Recipe
- Coconut. Add ½ cup of unsweetened shredded coconut to the cake batter.
- Nuts. For a nutty crunch, add ½ of chopped nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, or almonds, to the crumble topping.
- Vanilla. In the cake, increase the amount of vanilla extract to 2 teaspoons and omit the almond extract.
Tips for Making This Keto Coffee Cake Recipe
- If it’s easier, you can switch from using a fork to using your hands to mix together the crumb topping.
- When you start putting the crumble topping on the cake batter right before baking, you’ll have a moment when you think it might be too much topping. Trust me and ignore that thought because it ends up being the perfect amount.
- If the top of this cake starts to get too dark before the cake is done, drape a piece of foil on top.
- This cake is moist by nature. To avoid over-baking, when you do the toothpick test make sure to remove this cake from the oven when there are a couple crumbs, not when the toothpick is completely dry.
Coffee Cake FAQs
What Makes Coffee Cake a Coffee Cake?
When you hear Coffee Cake, what do you think of? A cake that’s meant to be served along with coffee, or a coffee-flavored cake?
Typically, Coffee Cake is a moist cake with a somewhat dense crumb with a streusel topping. The cake portion is usually rich and buttery with a vanilla aroma. The crumbly streusel topping is commonly flavored with cinnamon and brown sugar.
And you guessed it; this delicious baked good is served along with coffee!
Why is it Called Coffee Cake if There is No Coffee?
Coffee Cake is named as such because it’s meant to be served with coffee.
Is Crumb Cake the Same as Coffee Cake?
Crumb Cake and Coffee Cake are very similar. They both feature a rich and moist cake with a dense crumb that’s typically flavored with butter and vanilla. And they both have a streusel-like crumb topping that usually has butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon!
So what’s the difference between Coffee Cake and Crumb Cake?
Honestly, personally I don’t see much of a difference. However, I’ve been told that the difference lies in the crumbs. Supposedly Coffee Cakes have smaller sized crumbs and less topping than Crumb Cakes.
So maybe all Crumb Cakes are Coffee Cakes, but not all Coffee Cakes are Crumb Cakes? Who knows, lol.
More Keto Cake Recipes
- Keto Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Keto Mug Cake
- Low Carb Devil’s Food Cake Cupcakes with Crème Fraiche Frosting
- Keto Butter Cake
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic and #healthysweeteats on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Keto Coffee Cake Recipe (New York Crumb Cake)
- ⅓ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons granulated monk fruit/allulose blend or powdered blend, but not brown sugar blend
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper so it hangs over all 4 sides. Spray the inside with coconut oil spray.
- For the crumb topping, use a fork to mix together the almond flour, brown sugar blend, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add the vanilla and melted butter and use a fork to mix until it forms large crumbles. Set aside.
- For the cake, whisk together the oil, sour cream, granulated sweetener, eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, golden flaxseed meal, tapioca flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry to combine.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly on top.
- Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a couple crumbs, about 35 to 45 minutes. If the top starts to get too dark before the cake is done, drape a piece of foil on top.
- Cool before slicing.
- Net Carbs: 4g per serving
- Store this low carb Coffee Cake wrapped at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days more.
- Because keto brown sugar sweetener can have a very strong flavor, instead of using ¼ cup monk fruit/allulose brown sugar blend in the crumb topping, I like to use 2 tablespoons of keto brown sugar + 2 tablespoons of keto granulated sweetener.