This healthy vegan recipe for Coconut Date Balls showcases the sweet natural caramel flavor notes in dates and is the perfect nutrient-dense snack! With only 5 ingredients, this recipe is easy to make in just 15 minutes.
Mid-afternoon I tend to feel a little snacky.
Naughty thoughts of things like chocolate and cheese lead to naughtier thoughts of things like bread and cake.
To stop this downward spiral, I like to combat these thoughts with a well-stocked pantry so I can whip up things like Coconut Date Balls on a whim. My favorite thing to do lately is make a double batch of these and keep them in the fridge so I can grab a couple each day around 3 pm. It feels like such an indulgence.
These taste like candy. Well, not candy in a Snickers or Twix sort-of way, but candy in a more sophisticated salted caramel nut way. (Yeah, like that.)
Vanilla perfectly accents the natural notes of caramel in dates, and these little bites of bliss perfectly showcase this lovely combination.
As a kid I remember my mom having coconut date candy every year around the holidays. I think it was just date puree coated in shredded coconut, sometimes with an almond pressed into the top. They were delicious in their simplicity, really showcasing the flavor of dates. These Coconut Date Balls remind me of that candy!
The Best Healthy Coconut Date Balls Recipe
This recipe is full of healthy, nutrient-dense ingredients that you might already have on hand in a well-stocked pantry. And it’s easy to make in a food processor!
Healthy Coconut Date Balls Recipe Ingredients
- Flaked coconut
How to Make Coconut Date Balls
- Add the walnuts, coconut flakes, dates, vanilla extract, and salt to a food processor and process until the mixture is finely chopped and holds together when you squeeze it into a ball.
- Roll the mixture into 8 balls.
- Roll each in shredded coconut.
How to Store Date Balls
Store these Coconut Date Balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Variations on This Recipe
- Use your favorite type of nuts. Instead of walnuts, use pecans, almonds, or whatever your favorite type of nuts is.
- Spice it up. Add ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
- Change up the coating. Instead of coating these date bites in shredded coconut, roll them in chopped nuts. Or skip rolling them in coconut and dip them in melted chocolate for a truly decadent treat!
Tips for Making Coconut Date Balls
- Use soft and chewy dates for this recipe. If your dates are hard and dry, you can soak them in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain them and then proceed with the recipe.
- To help prevent the dates from sticking inside the food processor, I like to spray it with coconut oil spray before making these Coconut Date Balls.
- Make sure your shredded coconut is unsweetened because the dates add enough sweetness to this recipe.
More Delicious Recipes with Dates to Try
- Healthy Date Bars Recipe
- No Bake Pumpkin Tart Recipe with Chocolate Ganache
- No Cook Superfood Chocolate Fudge
- Chocolate Covered Snickers Stuffed Dates
- No Bake Chocolate Brownie Bite Truffles
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic and #healthysweeteats on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, FaithPrint
This post was first published on Healthy Sweet Eats on May 28, 2015. It was updated with more information on July 1, 2021.