This Fudgy Blueberry-Orange Chocolate Cake with Dark Chocolate Avocado Ganache will satisfy your darkest chocolate dreams.
You know what I love? Dark chocolate.
But you know what I love even more than dark chocolate?
Dark chocolate paired with some kind of fruit or berries.
(Lindt’s Black Currant Dark Chocolate is a serious favorite and so are the Kirkland Dark Chocolate Covered Super Fruits at Costco…in fact, I recently had to cut myself off from both because we were getting a little too friendly if you know what I mean.)
This glorious cake is my take on fruity dark chocolate.
The cake is fudgy and deeply chocolaty, accentuated with fruity notes. The luscious ganache is none other than my recipe for 5-Minute Classic Chocolate Avocado Mousse, which spreads beautifully just like ganache. In a word, it’s divine.
My birthday is coming up in less than two weeks and this is the cake I’ll be celebrating with.
- Yields: 1 (6-inch) cake; 8 servings
- Serving size: 1 slice, 1/8 of cake
- Calories: 274
- Fat: 17
- Saturated fat: 2
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 30
- Sugar: 18
- Sodium: 386
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 47
- 1 cup (150 g) fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (75 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plain, unsweetened almond “milk”
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or light olive oil, plus more to grease the cake pan (I use Chosen Foods Avocado Oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup (115 g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (20 g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium-large ripe Hass avocado
- 1/3 cup (30 g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder, dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon warm water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- For the cake, preheat the oven to 350F; brush the inside of a 6-inch round cake pan with oil and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Puree 3/4 cup blueberries in a blender or food processor. Pulse in the eggs, coconut sugar, almond “milk”, oil, vanilla extract, and orange zest until combined.
- Add the almond meal, cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt and pulse until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a couple crumbs, about 28 to 32 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then run a knife along the outside of the cake. Remove the cake from the pan and let it finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Once the cake is cooled, make the ganache. To do so, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Frost the cake with the ganache, and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup blueberries on top. (I also sprinkled some Valrhona Dark Chocolate Pearls on top, but that’s totally optional, and I didn’t include it when I calculated the nutritional information for this recipe.)
- Store any leftovers wrapped in the fridge for up to 2 days.