This is literally the best Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake of my life. Any time a pumpkin spice craving hits and you want a healthier treat to satisfy your craving without having to make a big batch of something, this recipe is perfect. Or it’s great if you have just a couple tablespoons of pumpkin left in the can to use up.
If you look past its homely appearance, and this recipe is actually a beautiful revelation in a couple different ways.
If you’re of the mind that no cake to ever come out of the microwave could ever be good, let me tell you two things: 1) in general I am (or at least, I was) inclined to agree, and 2) this cake will change your mind. Promise.
If you like pumpkin spice anything you’ll be all over this aromatic cake. Flavor-wise, it’s richly spiced and subtly pumpkin-y. Although the texture is typically the issue with microwave cakes, there’s no problem here.
The texture of this cake is as good as its flavor. It’s moist and the perfect balance between being fluffy and dense, somewhat like carrot cake. If you’re in the mood for a little something to celebrate fall, I’d highly recommend this.
And with things like egg, flaxseed, and maple syrup, I’d say this is even breakfast-worthy. How is that for pumpkin spice perfection?
- 1/4 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 4 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/16 teaspoon (1 pinch) ground cloves
- 1/16 teaspoon (1 pinch) salt
- 1/16 teaspoon (1 pinch) baking soda
- Add the oil to a microwave-safe mug and use your finger or a paper towel to spread it around.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl, then whisk in the maple syrup and pumpkin puree.
- Stir in the almond meal, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and baking soda until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mug and microwave on high until cooked, about 1 minute, 30 seconds in a 1000W microwave. (If your microwave has a higher wattage than that, start with 1 minute and add 10 second intervals until it’s done.)
- Cool slightly and then serve immediately (it’s best eaten when still hot).