This Keto Hot Butterbeer Latte (inspired by Harry Potter) is a fun fall-inspired vanilla butterscotch hot coffee drink. Whipped cream and gold + white sprinkles on top are optional, but make it extra special.
If given the choice, I would pick a Hot Butterbeer Latte over the epitome of fall, a Pumpkin Spice Latte.
Now, let me preface this by saying that I am a firm believer that there is a time and a place for a PSL, namely, nearly every day from October through November, and in my belly. But like the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.
That’s where this fun little number comes in!
Inspiration for This Keto Hot Butterbeer Latte
Inspiration for this latte came from a couple different sources. Harry Potter first and foremost for the flavor profile. But also bulletproof coffee, which you can read about here.
In a nutshell, bulletproof coffee is coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT oil (or coconut oil). It becomes thick and foamy like a latte. Dave Asprey (the guy who invented it), says the healthy fats in bulletproof coffee basically supercharge your morning with energy and focus. (And I speak from experience when I say that I’m a fan of bulletproof coffee as well! It keeps me fueled at least until lunchtime.)
I took the bulletproof idea one step further and browned the butter. Because why not?
The Best Hot Butterbeer Latte Recipe
If you’ve never had a butterbeer, its flavor profile is quite a treat. According to Fox News, when Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling was asked about butterbeer she replied, “I made it up. I imagine it to taste a little bit like less sickly butterscotch.”
So then I think about the flavor of butterscotch, which is sweet and buttery-rich, with complex flavor notes of nuts and caramel (at least to me, lol). That’s why I decided to brown the butter; so it would add a nutty dimension to the drink.
Keto brown sugar adds caramel-like flavor notes (of course you can use regular brown sugar or coconut sugar if you prefer). And vanilla and butterscotch extracts give it just the right flavor. A teensy hint of fresh-grated nutmeg gives it an intoxicatingly alluring aroma.
And just like that, bulletproof butterbeer was born, which is basically so wrong it’s right, lol.
Harry Potter Butterbeer Latte Ingredients
- Keto brown sugar
- Hot espresso (or strong coffee)
- Butterscotch extract
- Vanilla extract
- Freshly-grated nutmeg
- Whole milk
- Whipped cream
- Keto caramel
- Gold + white sprinkles
How to Make a Hot Butterbeer Latte
- Brown the butter.
- Blend the browned butter and all other ingredients together.
- If desired, top with whipped cream, caramel, and sprinkles.
Tips for Making a Hot Butterbeer Latte
- Go the extra step. And brown the butter! It only takes about 5 minutes and it adds deliciously rich, nutty, almost caramel-like flavor notes.
- If you can't find butterscotch extract. You can substitute with caramel extract.
- Don't cheap out on the nutmeg. Freshly-grated nutmeg makes all the difference in terms of flavor and aroma.
- To reduce the calories and fat. Well, first of all, don't despair because even though this doesn't look like the recipe for you, there are a few tricks. Simply omit the whipped cream and caramel from the top! Because we blend the espresso (or coffee) with browned butter, your latte will still have a thick, foamy cap.
- For the non-keto version. Use regular brown sugar or coconut sugar, and regular caramel on top.
- Make this latte when you're ready to drink it. This drink is best enjoyed while it's still warm! And it's easy to make a double batch (or more) if you have family or friends to make it for.
Above: Thanks to blending the drink with butter, this Keto Butterbeer Latte will still have a thick, foamy cap even if you skip the whipped cream topping.
More Harry Potter Inspired Recipes to MakeInstagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith Print
This post was first published on Healthy Sweet Eats on October 27, 2016. It was updated with more information on October 28, 2021.