Try a Hot Butterbeer Latte for One (inspired by Harry Potter!) when you want a fun fall-inspired hot coffee drink that isn’t a pumpkin spice latte.
Now, let me preface this by saying that I am a firm believer that there is a time and a place for a PSL, namely, nearly every day from October through November, and in my belly. But like the saying goes, variety is the spice of life and that’s where this fun little number comes in.
Inspiration for this latte came from a couple different sources. Harry Potter first and foremost for the flavor profile, but also bulletproof coffee (read more about what it is here). In a nutshell, bulletproof coffee is coffee blended with grass-fed butter and MCT oil (or coconut oil) until it’s thick and foamy like a latte. Dave Asprey (the guy who invented it), says the healthy fats in bulletproof coffee basically supercharge your morning with energy and focus. (And I speak from experience when I say that I’m a fan of bulletproof coffee as well! It keeps me fueled at least until lunchtime.)
I took the bulletproof idea one step further and browned the butter. Because why not?
If you’ve never had a butterbeer, its flavor profile is quite a treat. According to Fox News, when Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling was asked about butterbeer she replied, “I made it up. I imagine it to taste a little bit like less sickly butterscotch.”
So then I think about the flavor of butterscotch, which is sweet and buttery-rich, with complex flavor notes of nuts and caramel (at least to me, lol). That’s why I decided to brown the butter – so it would add a nutty dimension to the drink. Coconut sugar adds caramel-like flavor notes, and while vanilla is a must, you can omit the almond and rum extracts if you like. A teensy hint of fresh-grated nutmeg gives it an intoxicatingly alluring aroma.
And just like that, bulletproof butterbeer was born, which is basically so wrong it’s right, lol.
- Yields: 1 serving
- Serving size: 1 latte
- Calories: 243
- Fat: 24
- Saturated fat: 16
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Sugar: 8
- Sodium: 21
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 120
- 2 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed butter
- 1 1/2 cups (355 mL) brewed strong hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract (optional)
- 1 pinch fresh-grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; continue cooking until the butter turns golden brown and smells nutty, about 5 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Add the browned butter and all remaining ingredients to a high-speed blender and process until foamy, about 1 minute.
- Pour into a serving mug, sprinkle on additional nutmeg, and serve immediately.