Cool and creamy with a minty center and chocolate coating, this homemade Keto Peppermint Patties recipe is a healthy take on a classic treat!
And just like that, it’s candy season once again. (Because apparently Halloween, Valentine’s Day, and Easter are just not enough, lol!)
But Christmas candy is some of my favorite candy seasons. (Hello, fudge, caramel pecan turtles, peanut butter cups, and candy canes!) And I’m always up for the challenge of remaking treats with a healthy spin.
Peppermint Patties served as my inspiration here! There is something ridiculously addictive about the combo of peppermint and chocolate, which means I can never pass up one (or three).
Now, I’ll be honest, this is not my first go-around testing healthy Peppermint Patties recipes. I actually had the idea last Christmas. However, it wasn’t high on my priority list, and after just two rounds of testing I pushed it to the side.
They were good, but just not mind-blowing! And after a while I realized what the problem was: using coconut oil. This gave the candy a subtle (but definitely distinguishable) coconut aroma and flavor. And let’s be honest, there’s just no place for coconut in a respectable Peppermint Patty!
A couple weeks ago when I was munching on cashew butter and apple slices, a realization struck me. Cashews are basically the chicken of the nut world, meaning their flavor is pleasant, but not overwhelming. And they often take on the other flavors in a recipe.
All at once, 100 ideas flooded into my head for using cashews!
I used cashews as the base for my truffle filling here. And then I subbed out coconut oil (and all other coconut products) for cacao butter instead.
These Keto Peppermint Patties have a cool and creamy filling that really lets the minty flavor shine through. The chocolate coating on the outside is the finishing touch that ties everything together!
What is Cacao Butter?
If you’re not familiar with cacao butter, it’s the pure, cold-pressed oil from cacao beans (similar to extra-virgin olive oil from olives).
Cacao butter is a creamy white color, and solid at room temperature but melts at body temperature. It’s a great source of omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids and antioxidants.
Best of all, cacao butter has the most insanely deep, rich chocolate aroma. It’s absolutely perfect in the filling for Keto Peppermint Patties!
Thanks to cacao butter, the filling for this candy is soft like a truffle at room temperature. And then it’s a bit stiffer (like a regular Peppermint Patty) when chilled.
The Best Keto Peppermint Patties Recipe
Low Carb Sugar Free Peppermint Patties Ingredients
- Raw cashews
- Cacao butter
- Cream cheese
- Swerve Confectioners
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract
- Liquid stevia extract
- Stevia-sweetened dark chocolate
How to Make This Peppermint Patties Recipe
- Melt the cacao butter in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Add the cashews to a blender or food processor.
- Process the cashews until they form a powder.
- Add all remaining filling ingredients to the blender or food processor, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, cover, and chill until firm enough to roll into balls. This takes about 4 hours in the fridge or 1 hour in the freezer; if you chill it too long, just let it sit at room temperature for a while before rolling. Use a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop to measure out the filling and roll it into balls.
- Flatten each ball slightly into a thick disk. Place the disks on a parchment-lined baking tray and refrigerate or freeze until the candy is chilled again.
- Once the filling is chilled, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave or in a double boiler. Working with one candy at a time, place a candy in the chocolate coating, remove it with a fork, and place it on a baking rack or parchment-lined baking tray so the chocolate can set. Continue until all the candies are coated.
- If you have leftover chocolate, drizzle it on top of the candy. Let the chocolate set before serving.
How to Store Homemade Peppermint Patties
Store Keto Peppermint Patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tips for Making This Keto Peppermint Patties Recipe
- Splurge on the good stuff. I like to use a good quality organic cacao butter for the best flavor here (not to mention the health benefits!).
- Don’t skip the chill time. The filling needs to be well-chilled so that you can scoop and shape it.
- Remember that these need to be kept in the fridge. This is for two reasons: 1) they have cream cheese in the filling, and 2) the cacao butter is fairly soft at room temperature.
More Keto Chocolate Peppermint Treats to MakeInstagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith Print
This post was first published on Healthy Sweet Eats on December 22, 2016. It was updated with more information on December 30, 2021.