Low-Carb Overnight Black Forest Mocha Chia Seed Pudding is an elegant breakfast that’s easy enough for any morning.
I know I’ve been a little cherry-crazy lately, but I hope you’re not all cherried out yet because I have a doozy for you today! There’s nothing like the promise of a fabulous breakfast to get you out of bed in the morning, and knowing that this beauty is waiting in the fridge will do the trick.
This is actually just a fancied up version of chia seed pudding, blended to a smooth and creamy consistency. Like any chia seed pudding, this one needs to be mixed up ahead of time and left to sit in the fridge so the chia seeds can gel and form the pudding. It’s as easy as stirring together a few ingredients though, and it totally babysits itself in the fridge!
One the chia seeds are gelled, you can serve the pudding as-is if you like the tapioca-like consistency, but here I wanted to blend it up for something that feels even more special. I love Black Forest Cake (my mom used to make it for special occasions when I was a kid!), which is a combination of chocolate and cherry flavors, and here I added almond because I think it pairs so well with the flavor of cherry.
I used coffee as the liquid base of this pudding to bring in a mocha component (with the coffee/chocolate combo), which I think is a cute and clever way of incorporating your morning coffee directly into breakfast. If that’s not your thing though, feel free to substitute any kind of milk you like instead of the coffee.
Just a quick note about the carbs in this recipe, which you’ll be interested in if you’re trying to eat low-carb! If you make this recipe as it is, there are 8 g of net carbs per serving (remember net carbs are calculated by subtracting fiber from total carbs). Most of the carbs in this recipe come from the cherries though! If you want to reduce the carbs further, just omit the cherries and you’ll be left with the following macros per serving: 244 calories; 2 g net carbs; 22 g fat; 6 g protein.
And if you want to serve this as dessert instead of breakfast, you can make it feel even more luscious by topping each serving with a dollop of whipped cream or coconut whipped cream, and a dusting of dark chocolate shavings!
- ¼ cup (60 ml) heavy cream (or you can sub half & half)
- ¾ (180 ml) strong brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated stevia (see Note)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 10 almonds, toasted and chopped (for garnish)
- 10 cherries, washed, pitted, and halved (for garnish)
- Stir together the cream, coffee, chia seeds, cocoa powder, stevia, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Transfer to 2 serving glasses, top with the almonds and cherries, and serve.