This 5-Minute Cinnamon-Pecan “Baked” Breakfast Apple is the perfect healthy autumnal breakfast.
As days shorten the air takes on a crisp chill and the splendor of fall’s beauty sets in; my mind slowly relaxes. Autumn puts me at ease and no matter where I am in the world, makes me feel like I’m home.
Fall mornings are full of peace and solitude for me, and I often find them to be the most productive part of my day. A steaming cup of coffee in hand, sitting on the balcony in the early morning air, wrapped in a cozy sweater with a notepad to jot down the day’s tasks is my happy place.
Mornings like these call for something to warm me from the inside out. Something hearty but not heavy, and full of autumnal flavor. I can’t think of anything better than a perfectly ripe sweet and juicy apple; it tastes like fall itself. Add cinnamon and pecans and it is pure bliss.
I don’t think this needs any added sweetener at all, but if you like things a little on the sweeter side, you could always add a sprinkle of stevia or a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
- 1 large or 2 small-medium sweet apples, cored and chopped (about 2 cups chopped apple; I used Acey Mac apples)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle on top
- 4 tablespoons yogurt, any kind you like (I used low-fat, plain unsweetened yogurt)
- 2 tablespoons pecans, toasted and chopped
- Stir the chopped apple, water, and cinnamon together in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave until the apples are tender (about 3 minutes at 100% using a 1000W microwave).
- Use potholders to remove the bowl, then top with the yogurt, pecans, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.