This Keto Donuts Recipe makes aromatic vanilla doughnuts that are crispy outside and soft inside with the perfect level of sweetness. This recipe is easy to make in 1 bowl and only takes about 45 minutes!
Are you a yeast doughnut person or a cake doughnut person? (Or both!)
As delicious as a yeasted Boston cream donut is, I much prefer a good old-fashioned glazed sour cream donut.
With rich flavor with a slight tang to offset the sweetness and a moist, tender crumb, sour cream donuts basically melt in your mouth.
That’s exactly what I was going for in this keto version, and with bit of experimenting, that’s exactly what these are.
These donuts have a slightly crispy exterior and are soft and pillowy inside with a tender, moist crumb. They’re vanilla flavored, and just sweet enough without being too sweet. The glaze is vanilla lemon, but you can play with the flavor profile to suite your taste preferences.
The Best Easy Keto Donuts Recipe
Ingredients for Keto Sour Cream Donuts
- Sour cream
- Granulated allulose
- Almond Extract
- Almond Flour
- Golden flaxseed meal
- Baking powder
- Psyllium husk powder
How to Make Baked Keto Donuts
This one-bowl recipe really couldn’t be easier to make!
Add the wet ingredients to a medium bowl.
Whisk the wet ingredients to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.
Transfer the batter to the donut pan that's been sprayed with coconut oil cooking spray.
Bake until the doughnuts are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the donuts cool slightly in the pan, and then turn them out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Glaze the donuts and then enjoy!
How to Store Keto Doughnuts
Store Keto Donuts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Equipment for Keto Donuts
You will need a nonstick donut pan to make this recipe.
Variations on This Recipe
- Chocolate. Instead of glazing the tops of these donuts, dip them in keto chocolate ganache! For an easy ganache, melt together 2 ounces of chopped 90% cacao dark chocolate and ¼ cup heavy whipping cream and add stevia to taste if desired.
- Coconut. Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon coconut extract to the batter. Right after glazing the tops, sprinkle on a little shredded coconut.
- Berry. Stir ½ cup of chopped blackberries, red raspberries, blueberries, or strawberries into the batter.
- Cinnamon Sugar. Skip the glaze and instead roll these donuts in melted butter and then a mixture of keto sweetener + ground cinnamon.
Tips for Making Keto Donuts
- Have your donut pan already sprayed with coconut oil before you make the batter. This is because once the batter is mixed it will start to thicken almost immediately. It’s much easier to transfer the batter to the donut pan before it’s fully thickened.
- Let the batter thicken in the donut pan for 3 minutes before baking.
- Make sure to bake these Keto Donuts until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the donuts for a few minutes in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
Keto Donuts FAQs
What is a Cake Donut?
In contrast with yeast donuts which are leavened with yeast, cake donuts are leavened with baking powder or baking soda. As a result, yeast doughnuts have a more bready interior and cake doughnuts have a more cakey interior.
Why Do People Put Sour Cream in Donuts?
Sour cream is added to certain baked goods to lend rich flavor and moist texture. And don’t worry, the end result doesn’t taste sour!
What Can I Substitute for Sour Cream?
In this Keto Donuts recipe, you can use full-fat unsweetened Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have a Donut Pan?
If you don’t have a doughnut pan, you can use a muffin tray and bake these into muffins instead. Adjust the cooking time as needed.
More Keto Baked Goods Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic and #healthysweeteats on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, FaithPrint