Low-Carb “Maple” Cheesecake Mousse uses a spice called fenugreek that’s known for its caramel-y maple-like flavor in a rich treat that is basically a fat bomb in mousse form!
Maple syrup has always been and will always be one of my favorite sweeteners. The absolute only reason I try to limit it in my eating is because even though it’s a natural form of sugar, it still has the same effect on the body and I noticed I feel much better (in terms of steady energy) if I limit my sugar consumption. But that didn’t stop me from simulating its flavor.
A while back, I read a very interesting article on The New York Times about how fenugreek was the culprit that caused a mysterious sweet-smelling maple-like aroma in New York City. Fenugreek isn’t new to me; I’ve used it in a few different Indian recipes for years. It’s a spice that has a sort-of burnt sugar/caramel/maple-like aroma and flavor. It’s quite an intriguing spice, really. (This is the brand I use, if you're interested.)
It came as no surprise to me when I heard a while ago that fenugreek is one of the main ingredients in imitation maple flavoring and pancake syrup. The science geek in me came out; for quite some time now I’ve been wanting to play around with my own imitation “maple” flavor using fenugreek!
I tried to come up with a “maple”-like syrup (basically a sugar-free version of pancake syrup), but the issue was caramelization. I’ll keep working on tweaking the recipe and share it once it’s perfect. But for now, I have a very maple-esque cheesecake mousse to share!
If you’re familiar with low-carb or keto eating, you’ve probably heard of a fat bomb. This recipe is basically a fat bomb in mousse form, and it truly tastes like maple cheesecake. I like mine with a little sprinkle of chopped walnuts on top, but that’s totally optional.
More yummy fat bomb recipes:
- Low-Carb Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fat Bombs from Healthy Sweet Eats
- Dark Chocolate Raspberry Fat Bombs from KetoDiet Blog
- Keto Maple-Walnut Chocolate-Coated Cheesecake Truffles from An Edible Mosaic
- Low-Carb Paleo Almond Butter Chocolate Bars from Healthy Sweet Eats
- Keto Buttercream Fat Bombs from gnom-gnom
- “Maple” Syrup:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup granulated erythritol
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 3 drops liquid stevia
- ½ teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 oz (115 g) cream cheese
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- For the syrup, add the butter, water, erythritol, salt, fenugreek, stevia, and molasses to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and then reduce the heat slightly so it doesn’t boil over and simmer 5 minutes. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and cream of tartar and cook until thickened and slightly syrupy, about 5 to 8 minutes more. Turn off the heat and stir in the heavy cream. Cool slightly.
- Beat together the syrup and cream cheese until smooth in a large bowl. Beat the heavy cream to stiff peaks in a medium bowl. Beat ¼ of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining whipped cream ¼ at a time.
- Transfer the mousse to 5 individual glasses or bowls for grab-and-go portions.
- Serve, or cover and keep refrigerated up to 3 days before serving.
Disclosure: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to products we believe in, which means that even though it doesn’t cost you anything extra, Healthy Sweet Eats will receive a small amount of money from the sale of these items.