Rich and chocolaty, these healthy Fudgsicles (aka Chocolate Popsicles or Fudge Pops) are the perfect summer treat! An easy chocolate magic shell coating makes them even better.
Growing up for my sister and I, summer meant swimming at the big town pool, biking for hours on end, catching frogs from the creek behind our house, and eating ice pops until our hearts' content.
I liked the red "flavor" (cherry, probably? Lol), but the chocolate fudgsicles were my top choice!
Instead of picking up popsicles on your next trip to the grocery store, make them at home! Once you make your own and see just how easy it is, you'll want to experiment with all kinds of different flavors.
This Fudgsicle recipe is loaded with nutrition and has a few secret ingredients that might surprise you. There's absolutely no reason Fudgsicles can't be healthy and still taste delicious!
Healthy Fudgsicles Recipe (aka Chocolate Popsicles or Fudge Pops)
The trick to making healthy creamy fudgsicles with rich chocolate flavor is to use avocado, coconut milk, and unsweetened cocoa powder as the base.
Avocado is loaded with heathy fats, is a good source of vitamin K, folate, and potassium, and has just 2g net carbs per 100g serving. (You can read more about the health benefits of avocado on Healthline.)
Cocoa adds depth of flavor, and using unsweetened cocoa powder instead of chocolate allows you to choose which sweetener to add. I like to use a blend of Swerve Confectioners and stevia glycerite to make these low carb fudgsicles.
- Blend the mixture really well so that there are no chunks of avocado in these fudge pops.
- Don't skip the coffee extract, it helps pull out the natural flavor notes of the cocoa.
- The fresh lemon juice might sound like a weird addition, but it helps mask the avocado flavor and adds a bit of bright, fresh flavor.
More Healthy Desserts with Avocado
- Fudgy Blueberry-Orange Chocolate Cake with with Dark Chocolate Avocado Ganache
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Avocado Almond Pound Cake
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies
Here are the steps to make popsicles:
- Blend all the ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into your favorite popsicle mold.
One of the biggest tips I have for make perfect pops is to find a great popsicle mold. This is by far my favorite popsicle mold; it's cheap and durable!
Pro Tip: When you want to unmold the pops, dip the plastic bottoms in warm water for a few seconds and they should slide right out.
In addition to being low carb and keto, these healthy Fudgsicles are also naturally vegan!
So, what is chocolate magic shell? It's basically liquid chocolate when you pour it on ice cream, but it hardens almost as soon as it hits the cold ice cream. It forms a deliciously satisfying crunchy hard shell that you crack through when you eat it. Chocolate magic shell is so much fun to eat!
I like to make my own homemade version of chocolate magic shell coating because 1) it's easy to make, 2) it's sugar free, and 3) it doesn't have the additives and preservatives that the store-bought kind has.
- 3-Ingredient Vanilla Peach Popsicles
- Fruity Popsicle Sparkling Cocktails
- Banana Chai Popsicles
- Cinnamon and Toasted Almond Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Popsicles
Did you make this recipe? Please rate it and leave a comment below because I love hearing from you! You can also tag @anediblemosaic and #healthysweeteats on social media. To stay up-to-date FOLLOW ME on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. Xoxo, Faith
Fudgsicles (aka Chocolate Popsicles)
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds chopped small (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into 12 (75 ml/2 ½ opopsicle molds, making sure not to fill the molds over the “fill” line. Tap the mold several times on a hard surface to help any air bubbles escape.
- Transfer to the freezer, wait 20 minutes, and then insert the sticks. Let the popsicles freeze completely, about 3 to 4 hours.
- To easily unmold the popsicles, dip the plastic bottoms in warm water and they should slide right out.
- Once the pops are unmolded, mix together all the ingredients for the magic shell. Drizzle the magic shell on top and sprinkle on the nuts.
- Wrap each popsicle individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Net Carbs Per Serving: 3g per popsicle
- Blend the avocado mixture well so your pops don't have chunks of avocado.
- To easily unmold the pops, dip the plastic bottoms in warm water for a few seconds and they should slide right out.
- For the nut-free version, simply omit the almonds.
This post was first published on Healthy Sweet Eats on July 25, 2019. It was updated with more information on June 3, 2021.